Why I Want To Visit Iceland

Iceland is tipped by CNN as one of the up and coming travel destinations for 2016.  It’s quickly making it’s mark on the world as a top bucket list destination, and this is why I’d love to visit this increasingly popular Nordic island.

Why I Want To Visit Iceland

The Northern Lights

Everyone travels to Iceland in the hope they will catch a glimpse of the natural phenomenon, the Northern Lights or Aurora borealis.  I have to admit, I am desperate to see this magical display of colour in the night sky after all the stunning pictures I’ve seen of the event.

The Northern Lights are caused by a collision of the gaseous particles found on Earth and charged particles from the sun.  The result is a display of green, yellow, pink, violet and sometimes red flashes in the night sky.  It would be one of those once in a lifetime kind of events.

Northern Lights

The Blue Lagoon

I do enjoy a chance to relax and rejuvenate while I’m on holiday, so I would have to stop by the world famous Blue Lagoon for a dip in it’s warm and revitalising waters.  This sounds like the ultimate spa experience.  The waters of the Blue Lagoon are reported to hit temperatures of 39c and are bursting with minerals such as sulphur and silica.

The Blue Lagoon Iceland

The Golden Circle

I would have to include an Iceland road trip in my holiday itinerary that included the stunning landscape of the Golden Circle.  When I see nature at it’s very best, it gives me a renewed sense of perspective on the world, and I know a visit to Iceland would be a really grounding experience.  It’s a part of the trip I would want to take at my own pace.

The Icelandic tectonic plates of North America and Europe meet at the Thingvellir National Park in The Golden Circle.  Not only do you get to see this natural phenomenon but you are also able to cross from one plate to another, or one continent to another if you will.  That’s one pretty cool life experience to have right there.

Drive further on and you come into contact with the geysers and hot springs that Iceland is also famous for.  I would love to take my time to see one of these erupt, what a beautiful photo that would make.

iceland hot springs The Icelandic People

If you lived in a country that physically moved under your feet every 5 years and surrounded you with both natural beauty and risk all at the same time, it’s going to make for a certain kind of person.

Icelandic people are resilient in nature and have strong family ties.  They have long standing traditions often inspired by their Nordic history.  They mark 12th night on the 6th January  as their Christmas celebration, and culinary excess is a prominent feature in most of their celebrations.  I can see I am going to like it here!

Iceland christmas traditions Iceland Wildlife

Iceland has a unique climate for an artic destination thanks to the presence of the gulf stream.  This lends itself as the perfect landscape for seeing some stunning wildlife during a visit to the country.

I would be delighted to witness puffins nesting on the sea cliffs around the island and the opportunity to see whales, seals or dolphins in it’s vast waters would be absolutely breath taking.  There would be a story there to share with the grandchildren one day I reckon.

puffinsSo what do you think?  Is Iceland somewhere you’d like to visit too one day?  If you’ve been I’d love to know what your thought.

GL-400x150

1. Edward Guerreiro
    December 23, 2015 / 5:29 pm

I’m with you on this. I would love to go to Iceland. Especially to see the aurora borealis.

2. Katie skeoch
    December 23, 2015 / 5:47 pm

It’s a place I’ve always wanted to go. But holidaying in the cold after living in Scotland all year is a bit miserable. Maybe in a few years, I know I’ll visit someday

3. December 23, 2015 / 7:25 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Iceland. The aurora borealis looks incredible. I would also like to visit the blue lagoon, there is an ice hotel,as well isn’t there?x
    Jenni recently posted…Cheese Posties Review and GiveawayMy Profile

4. December 23, 2015 / 8:00 pm

I’d love to visit Iceland, these pictures look incredible. I’ve heard it’s amazing there.

5. December 24, 2015 / 1:29 am

Oh my goodness just look at it, what an absolutely beautiful place. I would love to go to Iceland. It is top of my husband’s bucket list too and as he was very lucky not to kick the bucket earlier in the year during a traffic accident we are very aware that we need to start getting on with trips like this.xx

6. December 25, 2015 / 1:05 am

I really want to visit Iceland, it’s on my travel wish list for 2016 or 2017 if I can’t make it next year. I read a few posts from fellow bloggers about Iceland and I want to visit the Blue Lagoon. I am moving to Switzerland soon and there are no non-stop flights to Iceland, so flying for just the weekend get’s tricky.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Nadine-Johanna Stewart recently posted…This year’s travelsMy Profile

7. Rebecca Ruff
    December 25, 2015 / 2:30 pm

I have always thought of visiting one day, and you have now given me plenty more reasons to plan a trip!

8. Hayley Mulgrove
    December 25, 2015 / 6:56 pm

Oh i would love to visit i bet its amazing it would be a dream of mine.

9. karen T
    December 26, 2015 / 11:10 am

Iceland has always been a dream destination for me! I would live there if I could!

10. Pam Francis Gregory
    December 26, 2015 / 8:19 pm

I’ve wanted to go to Iceland since saw some of scenery in Game of Thrones

11. Amanda noble
    December 27, 2015 / 12:50 am

Beautiful,enchanting place ..my daughter wants to sleigh ride with the huskys in Iceland ,i would love to take her one day

12. Emma Jones
    December 27, 2015 / 1:40 pm

My best friend got engaged in Iceland earlier this year and she made it sound amazing. This makes me want to see it for myself even more.

13. December 27, 2015 / 7:45 pm

The exact same reasons that I also want to visit Iceland, it just looks stunning and sounds amazing x
    Rachel recently posted…Merry ChristmasMy Profile

14. melanie stirling
    December 27, 2015 / 9:49 pm

I too would love to visit Iceland,I really hope I manage to this year!

15. February 27, 2016 / 10:57 pm

I visited Iceland when I worked on the ships Zena, it is an incredible destination. I was very fortunate to experience the Northern Lights and enjoy an afternoon at the Blue Lagoon which I can highly recommend:) I hope you get there one day!
    Lisa (Travel Loving Family) recently posted…Travel Loving Family’s guide to St LuciaMy Profile