The London Eye At Night

Is it worth going on the London Eye at night?  That was the question I asked myself when I visited London last month. The London Eye is open until 9pm at night, and I was keen to see what the experience would be like in the dark.

The London Eye At Night

I waited for my friend to join me on a very wet night in December.  She was at work during the day so the earliest she could meet me was 6pm.  I had lots to do in the day, so this was perfect for both of us.  It also gave me chance to admire the big wheel from the ground.  It does look pretty spectacular all lit up at night.

london eye

I’ve not been on the London Eye in the day time, but I guess on a overcast day in December night time might be the better option for going on it.  I was looking forward to a) getting out of the rain and b) seeing all the lights and enjoying the London skyline at night.

Getting On The London Eye

We had fast track tickets that we could use between 6pm and 9pm.  It meant we didn’t have to queue, but to be fair there wasn’t much of a queue for that time in the evening anyway.  If you’re visiting at off peak times in the winter you could probably manage with a standard ticket.

view from southbank over thames

The London Eye is still rotating, albeit slowly, when you step on.  It was a little unnerving but there are people on hand to help you out.  Walking onto something that is moving plays havoc with your senses!

The capsule is completely sealed, so kept us out of the rain.  Sadly the weather didn’t do much for my photography and I was struggling to use my DSLR to capture the view so relied on my iPhone.

Views From The London Eye At Night

Big ben at night

The London Eye takes 1/2 an hour to complete a full rotation, so it gives you plenty of time to take in the view over the city.  Possibly the most recognisable and iconic building you will see is Big Ben and The Houses Of Parliament on the other side of the Southbank.

The city  looks pretty spectacular at night and it was a lovely thing to do while catching up with an old friend.

view from london eye

Prices start from £19 for an adult ticket to go on the London Eye.  I would look out for deals and offers when booking tickets in advance as discounts are available on various voucher code websites.

I enjoyed my London Eye experience and it was a great way to start our evening before heading off to Jamie’s Italian for dinner.  I would be interested to go on it again in the daytime, to compare the experience.  I’m sure on a bright clear day the views are pretty breathtaking.

Thank you very much to the Coca Cola London Eye for providing me with complimentary passes to enjoy this experience in exchange for this post.

1. January 7, 2016 / 11:23 am

Sounds incredible Zena! We went on the Eye on new years eve during the day, which was my third time. Had a fabulous clear day and it was stunning… I’d love to do this though 🙂
    Mummy Tries recently posted…Sorry About the NoiseMy Profile

2. January 7, 2016 / 7:21 pm

Thanks for sharing!

I’ve done the eye a few times and night time is my favourite by far. Whata great way to catch up with a friend.

And I couldn’t agree more about stepping on (and off) while its moving! Even though its pretty simply and not exactly a roller coaster it does mind melt you a little bit!

x

3. January 11, 2016 / 4:17 pm

We are hoping to go on the London eye some point this year. I don’t think we will be going at night though as will need to get back to Blake but it would be a wonderful experience to also go at night in the future.

4. January 11, 2016 / 5:00 pm

We hope to try out the London eye. It’s going to be in my next bucket list! 🙂 I think I’d like to try it out in the day and at night!

5. January 11, 2016 / 8:36 pm

Last time I was in London I was about 13 years old. My parents, sister, and I made it a quick day trip because my father was living in Bath at the time. One of my biggest regrets is not being able to go on The London Eye. So this post totally will be bookmarked in my Wanderlust file. Great pics!
    Sola recently posted…Three Ways Your Horoscope is Runing Your LifeMy Profile

6. January 11, 2016 / 9:04 pm

I went on the London Eye years ago, it was one of my first dates with my now-husband! It was in the day, but I can imagine it’s more magical at night, with all of London lit up 🙂

7. January 11, 2016 / 10:57 pm

Looks amazing!!! I went on the London Eye but it was daytime and didn’t look half as beautiful as your views. (Although the views were still very nice!)

8. January 11, 2016 / 11:39 pm

It looks amazing at night! We had a fantastic trip to London some years back and we went up the London Eye, but during the day. It was great though, the views were spectacular.
    Cliona recently posted…The Meaning of GriefMy Profile

9. January 12, 2016 / 8:41 am

I’ve never been on the London eye, I’m not sure I’d want o but at night time it really does look beautiful. x