What To Pack For New York

Going travelling is a perfect excuse to go shopping, update your wardrobe and planning takes all the stress out of what to pack.  With my visit to New York just over a month away I’m thinking about what to pack for my city break.  I need some practical, comfortable clothes to travel with that will look great.  Here’s some great finds I thought you’d love too, no matter where you are travelling to this year.

What To Pack For New YorkMy New York Wardrobe Essentials

My suitcase won’t be going anywhere without a cool little black dress from M & M Direct.  I want something classic that will look great in the evening, but will also work with skinny jeans and pumps in the day.  This dress looks light and easy to pack too.  The short sleeve dress with velvet collar and trim from Only will look great both day or night with the right accessories.

Wardrobe travel essentials

Now our trip is in February so we have to be prepared for the colder weather.  New York is a great place to visit in winter, but there is definitely a chill in the air this time of year.  The daytime is going to be about seeing as many of the sights as possible so I’m staying practical with this fab Helly Hansen Aiken Parka Jacket (1).  It’s light weight so perfect for travelling, but also padded to keep out the winter chill.

This jacket will look amazing with the Firetrap hat, scarf and gloves (2) when I hit the ice skating rink in Central Park .  When I say hit, I do of course mean literally as I provide teen with a big laugh falling on my bottom on Wolfman Rink.  Hey, at least I will look good!

What To Pack For Walking In New York

The best way to see a city is by walking, and New York is one of the easiest places to navigate by foot with its grid system.  So when I’m thinking about what to pack, I’m keeping my footwear practical and going for some super comfy trainers (3) in the day time and these cute pewter pumps from Lotus for night time (7).  They will both save my feet from any discomfort and look great.  I’m just too old to put my feet through uncomfortable shoes, and it’s important to be pain free while travelling.

Daytime travelling clothes

Wearing a gillet (6) over a top with some stripped detail (4) is a great casual day look and a dark pair of stretch skinny jeans (5) brings the look together with maximum comfort too.  I think I might be all sorted for our trip to the Big Apple, I’ve just got to think about what to pack for teens’ New York wardrobe now.

This is a big trip for us.  It’s our first long haul flight, and it may also be the last time we take a trip together as Mother & Son.   He is growing up and talking about the places he wants to take his girlfriend these days, so the family holiday might be a thing of the past.  I want us both to be comfortable and to look great for all those amazing photographs I’m going to be taking.

Have you got any tips about what to pack for a city break?

Collaborative post

1. January 13, 2016 / 8:10 pm

I’m going to NYC in April and am so excited. I’m packing similar stuff to you, with some added leopard ballet pumps for the hotel and a dinner jacket for evening to smarten up my act.

2. January 15, 2016 / 9:47 am

It sounds like you have all the bases covered. How exciting to be jetting off to NYC. I have never been but would love to go one day. I love a good gilet and you can’t go wrong with stripes I don’t think. Maybe add a smart jacket for the evening, which would easily go over the striped top allowing that top to go from day to night with minimal fuss. 🙂 Love the dress to. I’m sure you will have a fab time.
    The L’s Mum recently posted…This mum can cry if she wants toMy Profile

3. January 15, 2016 / 1:31 pm

My folks loved their visit to NYC in November, but yes Winter boots are a must, flat comfy shoes! Don’t pack to much as you’ll need half a suitcase to bring stuff back!
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Are you ready for Storm Elsa?My Profile

4. January 15, 2016 / 3:59 pm

I’ve never been to New York but I do know it can get really cold in winter with snow so your choices are great. Enjoy your “last” holiday with your son, they grow up so quickly.
    Bear and Cardigan recently posted…The Disorganised Granny BloggerMy Profile

5. January 16, 2016 / 12:09 pm

You dont need to pack anything just me! I hope you have an amazing time, so many people are off to NYC right now x
    Rachel recently posted…The Melt CrowdMy Profile

6. January 17, 2016 / 8:18 am

You are going to have such an amazing time. Love all your outfit choices and cannot wait to read all about it
    Kara recently posted…Project 366 2016 – Week TwoMy Profile

7. January 17, 2016 / 10:39 am

*jealous face* We were hoping to hit New York this year for my OHs 50th birthday, but sadly its not going to happen – we just cant leave the kids for long enough to make the long journey worthwhile just yet – but one day!! Have an amazing time!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Space Themed BedroomMy Profile

8. January 17, 2016 / 9:39 pm

It gets very very cold, so do make sure you layer up well. I’ve been in January and I think it was possibly the coldest I have ever been!
    Mrs M recently posted…Is basic parenting really that hard?My Profile

9. January 17, 2016 / 10:31 pm

It will be bitterly cold, but you have it under control! My eldest daughter went in February four years ago and loved it. Pack your thermals! Kaz x x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Parental Controls for TeensMy Profile