Helping Young Parents With Pampers #BetterForBaby

Back in December I had the awesome job of donating a grant from Pampers to a cause that I felt would make life #BetterForBaby.  Pampers were keen to support local community projects or initiatives to help as many babies in the UK as possible.  I was delighted to be asked to help with the allocation process and I thought long and hard about where I thought the grant would make the most difference.

Helping Young Parents With Pampers #BetterForBaby

I got in touch with a TunTum HA, a housing provider that looked after 6 flats that are especially for young homeless parents and their babies.  I decided that I would like the money to go here as first time around, I felt like a relatively young Mum so I can appreciate how overwhelming and scary it can all be.  When I was pregnant with my son I was 21 years old, and at the time it felt very young especially when I was on the labour ward surrounded by older parents.

Baby boy being carried in sling

I might have been young and my son may not have been born into the most desirable situation, but that didn’t make me a bad parent.  With the stability of a secure home and support from my midwife and health visitor my confidence in parenting grew and I am now the very proud Mum of an 18 year old preparing for his exams and hopefully the next move to university.

I think that a secure home and a peaceful environment can get any parent and their baby off to a good start which is why I was keen to support the work at the Old Vicarage in Nottingham.  The young families that live here receive little support from their families either because of a breakdown in the relationship or because they have had to flea their home country.

Block of flats

The grant provided by Pampers has been used by the Old Vicarage to make the flats more homely and provide a better environment for the young families.  Young parents often  experience a limited or low income and adding pictures to bedrooms or rugs to wooden floors can be too expensive for them.  Now there is some extra funds available to add these finishing touches and make their flats #BetterForBaby.

nursery

Thanks so much to Pampers for asking me to find a local project that could benefit from this donation.  I think it’s going to make a big difference to the young families that live here for a long time to come.

Mum and baby

Pampers provided a £1000 grant for me to allocate and have sponsored this post to update you on the campaign.

Share:

1. April 18, 2016 / 12:30 pm

What a lovely thing to be able to do. To make life a little better for someone in this way is amazing.

2. April 21, 2016 / 3:47 pm

Thats such a great thing to do, I know how hard it can be I was 19 when I had my eldest

3. April 21, 2016 / 4:35 pm

That’s a lovely campaign to get involved in. I can imagine how difficult it is to be a young mum and alone with your child without any kind of support.
    Dean of Little Steps recently posted…My Cello BabyMy Profile

4. April 21, 2016 / 7:33 pm

The little details can make a house a home, make it somewhere special to return to. And mums spend a lot of time in the house, compared to working life, so making their surroundings more comfortable is a nice gesture.

5. April 22, 2016 / 7:42 am

What a great cause to support. I was a young parent and probably would have been helped by this cause if it had been around

6. April 22, 2016 / 8:13 am

This makes my heart melt and I know of so many young mothers who could benefit from this help. My friend and her son ( my godson) are surviving on very little income and I know that this is something she would love.
    Ana De- Jesus recently posted…An Alternative Universe: Chatty FeetMy Profile

7. April 22, 2016 / 8:33 am

What a lovely campaign, I am sure your grant will make so much difference. I too was a young mum, I was 18 when I had my eldest and I too felt so out of place on the labour ward. The midwives use to take to my mum rather than me xx
    Lindsay At Newcastle Family Life recently posted…A Disney Princess Toddler Tea PartyMy Profile

8. April 22, 2016 / 8:45 pm

It’s lovely that you have helped make someone else’s life better. Well done guys! Such a great initiative 🙂

9. Fi Ni Neachtain
    April 25, 2016 / 9:54 am

This is such a lovely thing for Pampers to do and I love that you donated the grant to help young parents provide a lovely, comfortable home environment for their babies.

10. April 26, 2016 / 12:15 am

It is such a lovely gesture. Amazing how such small things can mean the world to others isn’t it?

11. April 27, 2016 / 8:39 am

What a great campaign to get involved in. I can only imagine how difficult it is to be a young mum without any support.
    Evelina recently posted…How To Get 70s LookMy Profile