Tips For Dealing With A Fear Of Flying #Travel #TTOT

For the last few weeks, it’s been all about managing my husbands fear of flying.  How ironic is it that someone who loves to travel married someone who has a panic attack just at the thought of getting on a plane.  When we first got together, he covered up his fear of flying well.  We went to Spain and other parts of Europe, and you never would have known he was worried about getting on a plane.  He had a very good game face.

In recent years, the truth slipped out and it turns out my husbands fear of flying is a real problem.  If we are taking a trip that involves getting on a plane, we have to prepare for it, so that he can manage his anxiety and control his panic attacks.  Tomorrow he is flying to Arizona, which means 11 hours on a long haul flight.  While he is away he will be taking an internal flight from Arizona to Seattle, and then flying back home to Heathrow.  That’s a lot of flying in a little short of a week for someone who really doesn’t like flying.

When he was booking the flights, I felt like I’d been to Arizona and back with him.  He has been getting into a bit of a flap about this trip to say the least.  The issue is the amount of time he’s going to be flying.  That seems to have really effected his anxiety levels for this trip.  I feel so incredibly sorry for him as if I was heading to Arizona I would be so excited.  This is a work trip and an incredible opportunity for him, but it’s being over shadowed by this fear of flying.

My husband describes his fear of flying as completely irrational, but it also seems very overwhelming.  He used to ride a motorbike, which in my mind is far more dangerous than flying, but for him getting on a plane is the ultimate nightmare.  We’ve been working hard these last few weeks to reduce his anxiety and control his panic attacks, and I thought I’d share our tips as a fear of flying effects at least 1 in 10 people, possibly more.

Speak To Your Doctor About Your Fear Of Flying

When we first realised that a fear of flying was a real problem for my husband, the first thing we did was got him an appointment with the Doctor.  He is issued with a prescription when he flies to help manage his anxiety.  It helps for the duration of the flight, but they aren’t prescribed for taking in the weeks or days leading up to the trip.

Stop Drinking Caffeine

My husband is partial to the odd cup of coffee.  He’s also a fan of energy drinks.  For lots of reasons I think he should limit the intake of these kind of drinks, but even more so when his stress levels are rising.  Caffeine raises the amount of adrenaline in the blood stream, which can increase how we react to stressful situations.  To reduce the impact, severity and duration of his panic attacks he has stopped drinking caffeine and energy drinks.   It also means that his medication will be effective for the duration of the trip.

Increase Your Activity Levels

Increasing the amount of exercise you do can help to manage your stress levels and reduce the likelihood of a panic attack.  Even a walk during a panic attack can help to bring the situation under control more quickly.  You might be restricted in how much you can walk on a plane, but make sure you burn off as much nervous energy as you can before you get on.

Herbal Remedies

If you are being effected by your fear of flying in the run up to your trip, you may want to explore using a herbal remedy.  There are plenty of tablets and teas available that help manage stress and anxiety that you can buy in the health food shop or even the supermarket.  If you do decide to take a herbal remedy always read the advice on the packet carefully and follow the correct dosage.

Meditation

Using meditation, breathing techniques and positive self talk are all going to help you overcome your fear of flying.  It’s about adding as many things to the list of strategies as you can to help you  cope with the situation.  Visualisation techniques can have a massive impact on helping you cope with a fear of flying, and can help you feel in control of the situation before the onset of a panic attack.

A fear of flying requires lots of different strategies to overcome it, and I’m confident that my husband will arrive in Arizona in one piece after all the hard work he’s put into dealing with this.  We aren’t big believers in quick fixes, but we are confident that applying these strategies consistently will help him become a more confident flyer in time.

How do you feel about flying?  How do you cope when you get nervous?

1. Margaret Gallagher
    January 15, 2017 / 9:12 pm

Some great coping mechanisms
    Caffeine is certainly one to look out for -makes me so jittery

2. Richard Eldred Hawes
    January 15, 2017 / 10:45 pm

Some of the airlines run very good courses to help aleviate this problem

3. January 16, 2017 / 1:33 pm

I do not have a fear of flying but I have a problem sleeping on the plane especially on a long-haul flight. Any tips for that? I don’t like to take sleeping pills as they make me very groggy when I wake up.
    Veronica Lee recently posted…The Last Kite MakerMy Profile

4. Margaret Gallagher
    January 16, 2017 / 7:16 pm

Been looking at meditation today-going to give this more room in my life as it seems to have gone on a back burner

5. A S,Edinburgh
    January 16, 2017 / 11:22 pm

Great article and tips, thank you, especially about the caffiene.

6. Samantha O'D
    January 17, 2017 / 11:39 am

I have never been on a plane and I don’t think I ever will

7. January 17, 2017 / 5:23 pm

Thanks for this. I haven’t flown too often and tend to get quite anxious about it. Caffeine can definitely make my anxiety worse!
    Jo recently posted…My Top SupplementsMy Profile

8. January 17, 2017 / 6:20 pm

I don’t mind flying on a larger plane I don’t like little ones. Once we’ve got past the take off I’m fine it doesn’t bother me how long the flight is. I can completely understand people being scared of flying. I’ve watched a few too many aircraft investigations.
    Lisa Backsnbumps recently posted…Sweet potato, coconut & chilli soupMy Profile

9. January 17, 2017 / 9:53 pm

I hope your husband’s trip goes well. They are very healthy suggestions – but what helped my friend was to have a glass of wine on the plane – oooh it doesn’t alf go to your head up there and she relaxed.
    Pinkoddy recently posted…Things to think about when considering a Half MarathonMy Profile

10. January 18, 2017 / 11:57 am

Awww bless him what an incredible opportunity but can only imagine his anxiety. I used to have a fear of flying but don’t know when I got (not completely) over it. Awesome tips
    Anosa recently posted…{A July Dreamer} Social Media Goals {Yearly}My Profile

11. January 18, 2017 / 5:26 pm

Great tips. I am TERRIFIED of flying, I haven’t flown in four years because of it and before then only with Valium. I worry about my children picking up on my fear of flying if we were to go on a plane together so I do need to address my fear!
    five little doves recently posted…You know you’re getting old when….My Profile

12. January 18, 2017 / 8:25 pm

Thankfully we don’t have a fear of flying, just a fear of flying with a toddler. We’re heading to Mexico and have a long haul flight to contend with! Hope the mediation works. Great tips and totally agree with the coffee aspect!
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Our journey into the world of VloggingMy Profile

13. Stacey Leigh
    January 22, 2017 / 6:22 pm

Some great tips here 🙂 I to have a fear of flying and I have never been on a plane I would love too and I wouldn’t want my fear to rub off on my children x

14. Joanne Casey
    February 13, 2017 / 9:28 am

I feel for him, its anxiety that can be totally irrational but still very real none-the-less. I hope he manages to overcome his fears so that it makes travel more enjoyable going forward